If you can rule out the possibility of direct lightning strikes to the charging station or home charger, a type 2 protective device provides sufficient protection for your application. The VAL-EV-T2 surge protective device, designed specifically for this type of application, ensures reliable feed-in. The connected vehicle is also protected, and the charging process can be continued without interruption if any overvoltages occur.
Surge protection for charging stations and home chargers
No-risk charging: With our CHARX protect surge protective devices, you can protect charging stations and electric vehicles against damage due to overvoltages which can arise due to lightning strikes or switching operations in the grid. We can provide you with various protective device types for a comprehensive protection concept to ensure that your charging infrastructure remains available at all times – at any time of the day or night, and in any weather.More information
- Arrester class in accordance with IEC
- Connection method
- Fault alarm
- Lightning impulse current
- Maximum continuous voltage
Surge protection in accordance with Class EA (CAT6A), for Gigabit Ethernet (up to 10 Gbps), token ring, FDDI/CDDI, ISDN, and DS1. Suitable for Power over Ethernet (PoE++ / 4PPoE) “Mode A” and “Mode B”. RJ45 attachment plug with separate grounding cable and ground connection snap-on foot for NS 35 DIN rails.
Spark gap-based non-pluggable lightning current arrester / surge protective device free of leakage current for 3-phase power supply networks with separate N and PE (5-conductor system: L1, L2, L3, N, PE), for use in the unmetered area, for lightning protection levels III and IV, with remote signaling.
CHARX protect retrofit, surge protection set for protecting charging stations with an output of 11 kW ... 22 kW, such as home chargers. Surge protective device consisting of a base element with Push-in connection technology, remote indication contact, and protective plugs, nominal voltage: 230 V AC, 3+1 wiring
- Complete protection for your charging infrastructure thanks to the comprehensive product range
- Uninterrupted continuation of the charging process with a protected power supply
- Protection for the connected e-vehicle with a safe surge protection concept
Surge protection box for retrofitting
Optimum protection for home chargers and electric vehicles
Even though the main distribution box already has surge protection, the protective effect is often insufficient for long lines to the home charger. CHARX protect retrofit can be retrofitted easily in the carport and reliably protects the charging station and electric car from expensive damage.
- Suitable for home chargers with a charging power from 11 to 22 kW
- IP65 housing with transparent cover and cable glands
- Plug-in type 2 surge protection with status indicator and floating remote indication contact
- Nominal voltage: 230/400 V AC
- Nominal current: 32 A (at 6 mm²)
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 130 mm x 180 mm x 111 mm
- Prevention of costly damage to the charging station and vehicle
- Flexible selection of cable cross-sections with a variable sealing area
- Tool-free Push-in connection technology saves time during installation
- No additional installation material required with through-wiring
- Weatherproof, robust, and shockproof in accordance with impact protection rating IK08
Presentation by our Product Manager
Charging electric vehicles safely and without interruptions Comprehensive protection concept
The charging infrastructure for electric vehicles is just as complex as the vehicle itself. From the power supply and components for visualizing the charging process to the cables for Ethernet communication, the charging station is equipped with a large number of important and sensitive components. They need to be protected to ensure that the charging infrastructure has a long service life and that the charging process is uninterrupted.
A comprehensive protection concept therefore consists of three areas:
- The type 1 and type 2 combined lightning current and surge arresters and type 2 protective devices for the power supply protect feed-in against dangerous overvoltages caused by lightning strikes and switching operations from the grid.
- Use type 3 surge protective devices to ensure the long-term function of numerous sensitive components within your charging station.
- The communication components are usually connected over Ethernet and should also be protected.
The right protection for every application Discover our comprehensive product portfolio
The VAL-EV-T1/T2 lightning current and surge protective device, designed specifically for charging stations, provides safe and reliable protection against overvoltages caused by lightning strikes and switching operations. The high voltage peaks on the supply lines caused by an overvoltage can result in damage to equipment and the connected vehicle. The surge protection limits these voltages via the varistor-based combined lightning current and surge arrester, which ensures permanent availability.
CHARX-PROTECT-11-22 KW is the optimal surge protection for home chargers in the carport: The type 2 arrester integrated into the IP65 housing protects home chargers with charging capacities of 11 to 22 kW as well as the connected vehicle against expensive damage due to voltage peaks that can be caused by lightning strikes or switching operations in the supply grid. The weatherproof and impact-resistant box can be installed in weather-protected outdoor areas, for example in the carport. To match the existing cable routing, the feeding AC cable can be fed into the housing either at the top or at the bottom. Internal wiring is particularly fast thanks to the push-in connection.
Many components in charging stations with a 24 V power supply are sensitive and susceptible to voltages that are too high. Protect these components with a type 3 surge protective device. The PLT-SEC for 24 V DC can be installed quickly thanks to the proven Push-in connection technology.
It is not just in public spaces that charging stations are often equipped with components for communication with billing or building management systems, such as cellular modems or Ethernet switches. Even these devices are sensitive to overvoltages. The DT-LAN surge protective devices for information technology provide the ideal solution here. The Ethernet cables are protected and operation is ensured.
The VAL-MS-BE PCB base element is designed for direct mounting on a printed circuit board. It is equipped for all protective plugs in the VALVETRAB MS product range. The protective plugs for the VAL-EV surge protective devices, designed specifically for charging stations, can also be used here. This range includes T1+T2 combined lightning current and surge arresters as well as type 2 surge protective devices.